Congratulations to Lofthouse Manufacturing in Burk’s Falls!
This is the second year that we have awarded an Innovation award. It is a gesture of appreciation and recognition to individuals, companies or organizations that have a significant impact in the area developing innovation or promoting investments in innovation leading to economic growth and development. The first recipient chosen was Lorne Hillcoat of Temiskaming Shores whose tireless work over the years has helped companies scale-up and who is always championing advancement and investments in innovation in the Temiskaming Shores part of our region.
Lofthouse was chosen based on several factors.
– Through our Step Forward Entrepreneurs Program they’ve invested in software to reduce downtime and improve efficiency and have diversified into many different industries including automotive, electrical and recreational vehicles.
– They’re innovating new equipment components and refining tooling processes spurring new growth which has qualified them for our Innovative Manufacturing and Facilitation Program (IMFP)
– As part of this rapid growth they have hired, over the past year or so, close to 50 workers and are investing into the Burk’s Falls and area community. Through our Youth Entrepreneurship Placement Program a new position in Human Resources was created to accommodate and facilitate the on boarding processes and future management of this increased workforce.
– We visited their location and were impressed with the quality work environment, the skill levels and quality of work produced by the staff at Lofthouse recognizing it as a very well-managed company.
– Their work has been recognized by Canadian Manufacturing Export Awards among others testifying to that quality.
– Their company has invested over $40 Million dollars since 2008 into new equipment and a 50,000 sq foot several expansion as well as additional skilled workers.
– The equipment they have brought to the region is on the cutting edge of innovation and not commonly found in manufacturers in Canada.
In summary IION has had the privilege to support a few initiatives at Lofthouse through our programs over the long-term, making them one of the only clients who have qualified, completed and succeeded with projects in each of our funding programs producing above average metrics in terms of increased sales, job creation, community impact and innovations achieved.